Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sonic Pocket Adventure (Neo Geo Pocket - 1999)


Sonic Pocket Adventure is posted here as more of a curiosity than anything.

First thing you'll notice is that it's based on Sonic 2. Some zones have names that are just slightly different from the original (Chemical Plant is Secret Plant, Casino Night is Cosmic Casino) and some are pretty new (Neo South Island, Gigantic Angel, Last Utopia). But the zones themselves usually start off as exact copies, and then sort of progress into newer designs.

The thing that really surprised me about this, is that even though everything is pretty much from Sonic 2 (i'll leave out most spoilers for later in the game, but Knuckles makes a pretty surprising cameo), all the music is from Sonic 3. Now some of the music is from Zones in Sonic & Knuckles, but only the ones that were originally meant for Sonic 3, but were never finished for the deadline (the Mushroom Hill and Flying Battery Zones were both meant for Sonic 3). Also one song apparently comes from a game called Sonic Jam, which is even MORE obscure than this game, as it came out for something called the Game.com, a handheld put out by Tiger Electronics.

Also I should mention, this game has 100% new bosses. By bosses I mean the contraptions strapped to Robotnik's Egg Glider or whatever that thing's called. The only Boss I specifically remember being in another game was Mecha Sonic. The final Final FINAL boss (which you need all chaos emeralds to get to, which means I only found out about this part on youtube), looks fairly similar in design to the Final Zone in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but it's a slightly different process.

Anyways, check this out if you want to play something kind of weird. I'm working on getting the soundtrack together. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any kind of sound file format for Neo Geo Pocket games, so It's going to have to come straight from the hardware. I found most of the tracks, but a few are definitely missing. That'll show up on another post, whether or not I can find the missing tracks, cause the NGP soundchip is pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment