Monday, July 26, 2010

Mega Man V (Game Boy - 1994)



For the first post on Late Nights Without Friends, I wanted to share something I discovered recently: Mega Man V for Game Boy.

I dig all of the Mega Man games for Game Boy, because they're almost like remixes of the NES versions. Same bosses, different levels, the extra abilities show up earlier (slide in MMII, charged buster shots in MMIII, etc). But Mega Man V is a WHOLE NEW GAME. That's basically why I'm so excited about this game: it's something I legitimately missed.

So what's different? First of all: none of the bosses are named "_____ Man". That's because instead of Robot Masters, you're facing Stardroids. Each boss is named after a planet (except earth). Some of them make sense to me (Mars, the god of war, is a Tank. Neptune is sort of a merman / old fisherman looking motherfucker, Mercury is just kind of a melty dude) and some are rediculous (Venus kind of looks like toad man with antennae, Pluto is sort of a flamboyant jungle cat-man).

The pre-game intro explains how the mega buster has no effect on these start droids, so Dr Light builds Rock some sort of Rocket Fist extension (sort of following with the ability pattern, making the Rush Power adaptor from MMVI). So basically you run around punching the shit out of robots.

Also Rush is accompanied by this weird cat called Tango. He just kinda turns into a porcupine and rolls around killing people. And you collect P-Chips to build new gadgets (like in Mega Man 7). OH and Proto Man shows up some times basically playing Eddie's role. Anyway, whatever, I won't give too much away, just download it.

No comments:

Post a Comment